Hello EVMA Members! Here's what's happening in the wild & wonderful world of local mountain biking -
- Upper County Park trail is CLOSED due to a property dispute. We will be working with the park to reroute the trail once accurate park boundaries have been determined.
- Observance of Closures & Park Hours:
- Recently, we have had several incidents of riders* entering trails when they were closed. At York River State Park, two riders entered the park via an access trail when the park was closed for a wounded Warrior Hunt. The riders rode past Park Closed for Hunting Signs and encountered hunters on the trail. The riders were advised of the park being closed by rangers and they exited. We have also received reports of riders on trails at night. All Parks that the EVMA has agreements with close at dusk. No one is allowed to night ride in parks except as part of a sanctioned group ride, and must ride with the group. *The identity of riders, and whether they are EVMA members, is not known.
YRSP New Year's Day Ride the 10am ride has been cancelled due to the damp forecast. The 1pm ride is still on!
- Friday, January 1st 1pm York River State Park
- Saturday, January 2nd - No meeting or scheduled rides due to Holiday Weekend
- January & February - no scheduled rides, pick up rides can be posted on EVMA Chatter
Non-Members Attending Group Rides - Non-EVMA members may attend one ride as a guest, then must join the EVMA to continue attend, due to our insurance only covering EVMA members. The Dirt Divas & Beginner rides held at Freedom Park are James City County Events, and excepted from this rule, as are Freedom Park night riders who are not riding with the EVMA group.
Winter Weekly Night Ride Series 6pm
- Helmets and lights are required & spare lights are recommended (if your main light dies, and you don't have a spare, it's a long, dark, walk out).
- The buddy system is in effect for all rides (ride with a friend), and
- Riders must be off of the trails by 7:30, the group needs to make sure all riders have returned to their cars, and cars must be out of the park by 8pm.
- Non-members may attend one ride as a guest, then must join the EVMA to continue attend. Riders who are not part of the EVMA group are trespassing, with the exception of Freedom Park.
- Tuesdays at Harwood Mill - See the Ride Leader for a parking pass to display in your window.
- Wednesdays at New Quarter Park - park in the first parking lot.
- Thursdays at Freedom Park - Cars MUST be completely out of the park by 8pm so gates can be locked.
York River State Park Night Ride Series 5pm
- Weekend Parking fee of $3 per vehicle applies. Night ride rules (above) are in effect. Gate closes at 7:30. See ride leader for EVMA placard to place on dashboard:
- Saturday, January 2nd
- Saturday, January 23
- Saturday, February 20
- Saturday, March 19
Next Meeting: January 30th 12noon at Freedom Park
Happy New Year!