EVMA April Meeting Minutes April 4, 2015
1.) Treasures report
- General Fund Balance $5,089.38
- Trail Fund $5,946.98
- Checking Balance $11,036.36
- Savings $674.55
- WOYW $52.00
2 .) Additions to Budget – Wahrani $1000
3.) Insurance update
Our policy is currently lapsed while we search for a company that will provide the kind of coverage the parks ask of us, at an affordable price. No good solutions - too many industry losses on Mtb clubs is causing insurance companies to drop Mtb club coverage, especially general liability coverage (a nationwide problem). Many companies were vetted, with close analysis of the three most promising policies.
- Mckay - Overage medical, no coverage for non-members - no maintenance coverage, must have Memos of Understanding (MOU) from every park that designates the park as the owner of the trails AND features. Cities have volunteer agreements, and do not absolve us of liability. Historically, parks have not been timely in returning agreements. Probably a good option for insurance NEXT year.
- K&K - our current lapsed policy covers group rides & trail maintenance, trail builds ONLY during building process, but is more costly than some policies. Cannot get “product liability” from ANY company.
- Associated - Used by RVA more etc, still gaping holes in equipment coverage
- York County & New Kent want us to have general liability - covers lawyers if sued. Insurance companies are NOT providing this type of insurance. JCC takes ownership & therefore liability for EVMA trails & features. We believe other parks will follow JCCs model MOU, once we have a copy of it. Negotiating & getting agreements signed takes a long time.
- Renewal of current policy the “least bad” option - we need counties to inspect & indemnify us from responsibility.
- EVMA manages seven individual trail systems. Three counties, the state & two cities have different coverage & requirements.
- Motion: Renew with K&K. Pursue modified MOUs with each park in the coming year and use a less expensive policy next year. Passed with a majority vote.
4.) Events & Call for Volunteers
- Spring camping trip April 30th to May 3rd Signup is still open.
- New Quarter 30th Anniversary Celebration May 2nd
- CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS! There will be an EVMA tent, and EVMA group rides. We need volunteers to lead A/B ride & B/C ride with two leaders apiece, and parking attendants. Park will have lots of vendors, hikes, bird watching etc 10:00am - 2:00pm Volunteers start at 8-8:30. We need about 18 volunteers. Please sign up on the Volunteer Page.
- Kids to Park Day at YRSP May 16th - Group rides, grilling lunch. Volunteers needed to lead rides at 9:00 & grill lunch 11:30 to noon. Contact Penny Rich or Kirk Moore to volunteer.
- Next meeting June 6, at the Freedom Picnic shelter. We need a volunteer to grill. Email Jim Irby firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
5.) Trails & Call for Trail Captain Volunteers
- Freedom Park – On busy weekends, additional parking is available at school on Jolly Pond Rd. The park has permission to use the school for overflow parking
- Met with Nancy Ellis. Quarterly inspection of features with Freedom Staff. Possibly add staff to the trail report systemso they can view reports.
- Greg Hurley will take over as the New Captain of Freedom D loop.
- May 9th JCC will be holding Single Track Maniac, Trail A and B will be closed in the morning and D and E will be closed all day.
- D & E closed all day long A closed AM Dirt Diva & beginners will ride C first. No lunch will be served. No Meeting afterwards
- NQP - Trail Captain needed. Captain rides the trail once a month, reports condition & hazards, and logs volunteer hours.
- Upper County – Park is adjacent to a hunt club, Spring turkey season opens April 4 and runs through May, Ride with caution. Hunters do not wear orange during Spring Season. A current boundary dispute means that hunters may enter the park.
- YRSP – Marl Ravine will remain reversed through April. Signs come down 30th
- Wahrani – Signage and trail maintenance in planning.
- Harwood - some horse issues, working on signage.
- Reminder for Trail Captains to log inspections and maintenance on wildapricot or email Jim or Harry
6.) Volunteers Needed
If you would like to volunteer with the EVMA, but don't have the time to take on a major commitment, we have many opportunities to help the club out with smaller tasks. Here are two more opportunities:
- Events Coordinator needed
- Fall trip organizer needed (mostly to show up at park and guide parking, etc. . .)
Once again, email Jim Irby at email@example.com