Hello EVMA Members! Here's what happened at our last meeting (January 30, 2016) and what's happening this week in the wild world of local mountain biking:
- State and Federal taxes and Section 8 filing are currently underway.
- Currently $10,370 in the general fund. For complete report, contact Kurt Bradley or Jim Irby.
- Up for renewal again. Cost is $1750 for 200 members with our current insurer, but this company cannot provide general liability (which most parks require we have). Estimate for policy with Associated Agencies (used by MORE) including general liability, is $2700.
- February 21st Trail Work Day at NQP 9am
- February 27th We will have a booth at the JCC expo from 9am to noon at the JCC Recreation Center. Kirk and Beav will be there, an additional volunteer is needed. Contact Jim Irby if you are interested.
- Next Meeting: March 5th 12noon at Freedom Park
- Youth Race Series at NQP: Pre-ride Sat April 2nd, Races Sundays at 1pm April 10, April 24th, May 1st, May 22nd, June 5th
Parks & Trails
- Upper County Park
- Trail remains CLOSED due to a property dispute. We will be working with the park to reroute the trail once accurate park boundaries have been determined.
- York River State Park
- A big "Thank You!" goes out to all of the volunteers who helped with the pump track. An addition load of dirt awaits decent weather for another work day.
- Marl Ravine Trail will be reversed from February 1st thru March 31st. Signs are posted to indicate a clockwise direction. Exercise caution & have fun! The need to mitigate or prevent damage to downhill (usually uphill) switchbacks during the reversal was mentioned by Steve Nevins. A temporary re-route is the best option, and the possibilities will be evaluated.
- Harwood Mills
- A/B trail connector is completed and rides well.
- B trail re-routes await approval from Water Works.
- New Quarter
- Bridge at mile 3.25 marker has been repaired, and we are planning a re-route, or replacement. Leaning trees were removed in the mile 1 section.
- The Youth Series race course has been extended. When the trails dry out, ride a loop of the course to help pack the trail when you visit NQP!
- We'll be meeting with park management to plan future improvements.
- Trails are marked. Further improvement work to be scheduled.
- Indian River Park
- Mgmt unresponsive to meeting with the EVMA
- Freedom Park
- Downed trees removed from A & C.
- January 30th trail work day completed projects included:
- Trail A reworked mud pits and re-route around a tree
- Build up of a berm & removal of two leaning trees
- Shaved & reshaped a hill
- Trimmed Trail E 1 mile from each end (middle still needs work, and log pile needs attention)
- Cleared downed tree off B
- 5' drop inspected - a clear ride around & improved signage are needed
- Walk thru with Park Management scheduled for March.
- February 20th 10am Harwood Mills, 5pm YRSP night ride
- February 21st 9am Group ride & Trail Work Day at NQP
- March 5th 10am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- March 6th 10am YRSP
- Winter Weekly Night Ride Series 6pm
- Tuesdays at Harwood Mill - See the Ride Leader for a parking pass to display in your window.
- Wednesdays at New Quarter Park - park in the first parking lot.
- Thursdays at Freedom Park - Cars MUST be completely out of the park by 8pm so gates can be locked.
- York River State Park Night Ride Series 5pm Weekend Parking fee of $3 per vehicle applies. Night ride rules are in effect. Gate closes at 7:30. See ride leader for EVMA placard to place on dashboard:
- Saturday, February 20
- Saturday, March 19
- April 2nd 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- May 7th 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- June 4th 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- August 6th 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- October 1st 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- November 5th 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
- December 3rd 9am Freedom Park: Group rides, Dirt Divas & Beginner Rides
As always, please allow wet trails to dry before riding! Enjoy your week!
- Raystown, PA, April 28th - May 1st. $35 per tent, $50 per Camper/RV, not including food. Registration will be open next week.
- Stokesville, VA possible date Apr 15th - 17th or May 13th to 15th, attending during Dirtfest ($100 per person) is also possible. Look for a poll on the EVMA Facebook Page.